Saturday 24 September 2016

My summer of freewheeling and dirty planning

First off I have to say I have no idea where summer went, I feel like I blinked and missed it!  Things were very quiet here on the blog for a couple of reasons, the first is I was freewheeling.  The six week summer holiday is the one time of year where I don't have to stick to a strict schedule and I can just coast along.  There are no assemblies, presentations, concerts, performances, games, or workshops I need to attend, I don't need to set an alarm for the mornings and on the whole everything is more relaxed and unstructured.  Because I have a lot less going on I don't need to rely on my planner as much as I do during the rest of the year, this leads us to my second reason.... dirty planning.  

Dirty planning

This is a term I heard in one of the planner groups on Facebook and it tickled me.  Dirty planning means no decoration, no fuss, just scribbling things down and not a scrap of washi tape in sight!  The only reminders I needed in my planner over the summer were for paying bills, birthdays and my husband's work schedule.  I knew I wouldn't have to check these multiple times a day so it didn't seem worth the effort to decorate my pages.  Instead I popped everything into my Dodo Pad inserts, they already have their own doodles and quotes on them which is more fun than blank pages and I didn't feel the need to liven them up.  It was kind of nice to take a break from washi, stamps and stickers for a while and it has made me enjoy playing with them even more now I am back to using them again.

Here are a few things I did over the summer:

* I received this gorgeous letter from Lucy of Quill London earlier in the year, I thought the envelope was so pretty I didn't want to throw it away so I turned it into a pocket to keep bits and pieces in my planner.

Envelope into planner pocket

* I have been in my Van der Spek organiser for over 12 months now, I still love it and I have no intention of moving out of it any time soon!

Planner peace

* The Color Run Birmingham (the happiest 5k on the planet), what an amazing day!  I can't wait to go again next year! 

Clouds of colour

It's a messy business

* I went on holiday, I adore being by the sea and spent as much time as I could on the beach.  I took my travellers notebook with me and had some fun filling it with memories and stories.  I will be showing you some of my pages from it next Friday so keep an eye out for that post.

Ilfracombe beach

Ilfracombe harbour

My Van der Spek travellers notebook

I think that's everything and we are all caught up now, I have a few My Weeks to share with you so I will be working on those next.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you had a great summer too!


2 comments:

  1. I recently went from working at home with multiple companies to working in one office for one company myself and now don't have as much to write down in my planner and have been floundering. It's weird when you only need your planner for weekends!

    But I like the term dirty planning. Since I use a Lilly Pulitzer agenda and the pages are pretty colorful, I don't always add decorations to them. This is the perfect term for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those agendas are very pretty! I like the term too, it spoke to me the first time I heard it ;)

      I hope you are enjoying your change of job!

      Delete