Monday 9 April 2018

Artline Monday - World Art Day

The 15th of this month is World Art Day and I thought it would be fun to recreate some of my favourite artworks on rocks and hide them for people to find this week!

Rock painting supplies

I started out with six stones and painted a base coat on the grey ones so I had a lighter surface to work on.  Once they were dry I sorted out my Artline pens and started designing my rocks.

Kandinsky Several Circles

My first rock is based on Kandinsky's Several Circles, I have loved this piece since I first learned about it during my A level art course (many years ago!).  I drew and painted the circle shapes using paint, poster, chalk and OHP markers first and then coloured in the background with my Artline 70 pen.  I am pleased with how it turned out and I hope the person who finds it loves it!

Piet Mondrian

The next two rocks are based on the works of Piet Mondrian, I love how simple these were to do but they are still recognisable as pieces of art.  As the stones were already white I just used four pens to draw the squares and rectangles and then coloured some of them in with red, yellow and blue markers.

Van Gogh Starry Night

I tried to copy a section of Van Gogh's Starry Night on this rock but I'm not sure I did a good enough job.  I guess I'm more of an abstract girl than a post-impressionist!  I coloured the rock in with my blue Artline 853 OHP marker and then drew on top of it with a black Artline 70 pen.  The last stage was to add the stars with a yellow paint marker and the swirls in the sky.

Lichtenstein Pop art

After my Van Gogh failure I wanted to do something a little easier on the next stone so I went with a bit of Pop Art.  I drew the word Pop with the Artline 853 OHP markers and a paint marker, I coloured in the red background with a red permanent marker and then added the dots that represent this style.  It is supposed to look like it belongs in a comic so I think this one is more successful than the one before!

World Art Day rock

The last rock I made was to commemorate World Art Day.  I used a lovely bronze Supreme metallic marker to decorate the edges and my favourite gold Artline 900XF pen in the centre.

On the back of each rock I have written the artist and/or piece of artwork the rocks are based on, the date of World Art Day and a message telling the person they can either keep or rehide the stones and asking them to share a photo online with the tag #ArtlineRocks so we can see where they end up.  It is so exciting when I get to hear that my rocks have been found! 


The finished #ArtlineRocks


The stones have all been varnished now to protect them from the rain and I am going to be hiding them with my girls this afternoon.  I hope they spread a little happiness and a bit of art appreciation this week!

Will you be doing anything to celebrate World Art Day?


No comments:

Post a Comment