Monday 9 July 2018

Artline Monday - *Summer Activities* Design your own bag

The summer break starts in two weeks so I think I will be sharing a few summer activities you can do over the holidays here on the blog.  If you don't have children but love arts and crafts then of course you can join in too and make your projects as simple or complicated as you like.  

For today's post I have made a summer tote/beach bag using some Artline fabric markers.

Summer beach bag

You can buy plain cotton bags like this one for a pound on eBay or if you have any promotional reusable bags they are usually blank on the reverse so you could draw your design on that side instead.

Plain cotton bag and Artline fabric markers

The best thing about these fabric markers is that the ink fixes to the material without you having to iron over them so once you have finished creating your bag it is ready to use!  The pens come in white, pastel pink, pastel blue, pastel green and pastel orange and they work great on coloured fabrics too so you don't have to stick with whites and creams. 

If you can't think of a design you want to do here are some ideas to get you started, repeating patterns, personalise with your name, your favourite quote, doodles or draw your favourite character from a TV show or film.

Starting my design

Before you use the markers you need to give them a good shake, this is always my youngest daughter's job!  


Finishing the outline

I drew the outline of my word first and then went back to fill the letters in afterwards.  The markers are really simple to use and have a bullet style nib which gives you a very precise line of colour as you write, draw and colour in with them.

Filling in the letters

Once I had finished my word I decided it still looked a little plain so I added a couple of flowers to the design in opposite corners of the bag.  

Adding some flowers

Again I grew the outline of the flowers first and then coloured them in.  Doing it this ways means if you make a mistake you have more options available to try and fix it like making your drawing bigger or colouring over the error.

Finished and ready to use

If you find the ink feels like it isn't flowing as well as you would like while you are using the markers then just push down on the nib using the pen to release more ink and you'll be good to go!

As I said before once you have completed your design the ink is set to the fabric so you don't have to get the iron out, which is great because I hate ironing especially in this weather!

All set for summer

If you enjoyed making your own beach bag then you could have a go at personalising a pair of canvas shoes or trainers, creating a t-shirt or top or adding your own bit of flair to different types of clothing.  I really want to buy a pair of black canvas shoes and add a splash of colour to them!  If I do I will have to show you how they turn out!


No comments:

Post a Comment